CONSTRUCTING HEAVY INDUSTRIAL PROJECTS (CHIP)
CHIP has been published as a Kindle and paperback entitled: "Industrial Construction - a handbook" and is available from Amazon Books. HTML codes for all the following EMMAs and Calculators are provided free in the book*, enabling the user to embed same in his/her personal web-page or in any hosted web-page.
*Subject to proof of purchase and following issue of a password. Email request.
Reference numbers in brackets after subject headings eg (1) EARLY MANPOWER PLANNING (Ref. 4.1.) are cross-references to such subjects in the book.
(1) EARLY MANPOWER PLANNING (Ref 4.1.)
This 'CALCULATOR' 6.3. breaks down an estimated project cost into its main E P C components (WBS), for analysis & early manpower planning using typical weighted values. (Ball-park)
(2) TEMPORARY FACILITIES AREA (Ref 3.2.1.)
This check-list 6.4. serves to define & calculate the total area of ground required for temporary buildings, storage areas, roads, car parks etc
DOWN FOR MORE QUICK LINKS
(3) SITE MANAGEMENT ORGANIGRAM
CALCULATOR 6.3.1. (see info. video) facilitates preparation of an organigram, plus an estimate of man-months & cost thereof.
(4) + ESTIMATE + HISTOGRAM (Ref. 4.2.)
Alternatively, CALCULATOR 6.3.2 (see info. video) develops a spreadsheet estimate of man-months & cost thereof, plus histogram.
(5) CLEARING A GREENFIELD SITE (Ref. 5.4.1.)
Conditions on a 'greenfield' site can vary from a flat, dry, open space to dense, wet 'jungle'. This calculator 18.104.22.168. takes variables into account.
(6) REMOVING OVERBURDEN (5.4.2.)
Scrapers are an option for removal of overburden, especially from a large site. Calculator 22.214.171.124. compares schedule & cost implications.
(7) TEMPORARY FACILITIES COST(Ref 3.2.2.)
Another check-list 6.4.1. covers the many temporary facilities that are needed to be built, in support of site activities.
(8) EXCAVATOR SELECTION (Ref. 5.3.1.)
Excavators come with varying bucket sizes and operating cycle times. Narrow down the possibilities with this calculator 126.96.36.199.
(9) FRONT END LOADER SELECTION (Ref. 5.3.1.)
Front End Loaders come with varying bucket sizes and operating cycle times. Narrow down the possibilities with this calculator 188.8.131.52.
(10) OFFSITE TRUCKING LOGISTICS (Ref. 5.5.7.)
This calculator 6.5.5. facilitates study of a range of options, involving availability, capacities, distances, average speeds & operating hours
(11) EXCAVN QUANTITIES - U/G PIPING (Ref. 5.5.1.)
Quantities excavated for installation of underground piping vary according to sizes, depths & soil conditions. Use calculator 184.108.40.206.
(12) EXCAVN Q'TITIES - EQUIP FOUNDS (Ref. 5.5.2.)
Given a list with approx weights and a soil factor, calculator 220.127.116.11. can be used for a ball-park indication of total excavation quantities
(13) HAND EXCAVN HOURS - U/G PIPING (Ref. 5.5.3.)
Given basic trench dimensions & a labour rate, calculator 18.104.22.168. will estimate manhours by hand in firm or sandy conditions.
(14) M/C EXCAVN HOURS - U/G PIPING (Ref. 5.5.4.)
Given basic trench dimensions & a labour rate, calculator 22.214.171.124. can be used to estimate manhours for assisting with excavator m/c.
(15) HAND EXCAVN HOURS - FOUNDS (5.5.5.)
Given approx weights and soil factor, calculator 126.96.36.199. can be used for ball-park quantities & manhours by hand excavation
(16) M/C EXCAVN HOURS - FOUNDS (Ref. 5.5.6.)
Given approx weights and soil factor, calculator 188.8.131.52. can be used for quantities, + manhours attending on excavation by m/c
(17) EARTHWORKS EMMA (Ref. 5.2.)
This generic EMMA 6.5. can help to estimate, plan, track & control any part of the earthworks scope that is measurable in bulk terms.
(18) CONCRETE EMMA (Ref. 5.2.)
This generic (any discipline) EMMA 6. can help to estimate, plan, track & control any part of the civils scope that is measurable in bulk terms.
(19) M'HRS/COST SINGLE FOUNDATIONS
Given the dimensions of individual founds, calculator 6.6.B. can be used to estimate approx construction manhours/cost thereof
(20) M'HRS/COST MULTIPLE FOUNDS (Ref. 5.6.1.)
Given an equipment list with weights calculator 6.6.C. can be used to estimate approx manhours for a range of foundations
(21) REINFORCED CONCRETE PAVING (Ref. 5.6.2.)
Given the area of required paving calculator 184.108.40.206. can be used to estimate manhours for that area plus cost thereof.
(22) CONCRETE MIX QUANTITIES (Ref. 5.6.5.)
Given a quantity of concrete + unit prices of materials, calculator 6.6.2. will estimate quantities/costs of cement, sand etc
(23) GROUTING EQUIPMENT & STEEL (Ref. 5.6.3.)
Given the base area of an equipment item or steel column that has to be grouted, calculator 220.127.116.11. will estimate manhours/cost.
(24) MISC. & BUILDING WORKS (Ref. 5.6.4.)
Given quantities/areas calculator 18.104.22.168. will estimate manhours for backfilling, sheeting, brick & block laying, drainage manholes etc
(25) EARLY PLANNING EQUIPMENT LIFTS (Ref. 5.8.1,)
Given approx. dimensions of equipment items, prior to release of design details, this calculator 6.8.A. will guestimate their weights.
(26) LIFTING PROGRAM MANHOURS (Ref. 5.8.2.)
Given nos & weights of individual equipment items to be erected, this calculator 6.8.B. will estimate manhours for a lifting program.
(27) INSTALLING PROCESS TRAYS (Ref. 5.8.3.)
Given types, diameters & numbers of process trays to be installed, this calculator 22.214.171.124. will estimate manhours required.
(28) WELDING HOURS - TANK PLATES (REf. 5.8.4.)
Given the diameter & height of a tank, plus plate sizes & thickness, for floor, shell & roof, this calculator 126.96.36.199. will estimate weld hours.
(29) STRUCTURAL STEEL EMMA (Ref. 5.2.)
This generic EMMA 6. can be used to plan, track & control the erection of large steel structures on a global basis, given tonnages. 18 month/week/day
(30) DETAILED STEEL ESTIMATING (Ref. 5.7.1.)
Given weights of structures, pipe racks, access platforms, stairs & ladders, this calculator 6.7.2. estimates total manhours.
(31) HANDLING STEEL PLATES (Ref. 5.7.2)
Given dimensions and thickness of a steel plate this calculator 6.7.3. simply provides an indicative weight for safe lifting purposes.
(32) CALCULATE SITE PROGRESS (Ref 4.7.3.)
This calculator 6.3.3. divides site work by discipline & sub-discipline, for inputting quantities & manhours & arriving at % completions.